South Australia's Miscellaneous Creatures

The Register (Adelaide, SA)
Date: May 3, 1906
Page Number: 6
TEROWIE, May 2 The show belonging to Broncho George's Rough Riders passed through on the way to Broken Hill. During the transhipping process a large baboon broke his chain and started off on a tour on his own account. He made direct for a house a short distance from the railway line, and the terrified occupants rushed in doors with more haste than elegance. The baboon then sought fresh fields, and scampered off in the direction of the lake. By this time two of the men, mounted on bicycles, and a woman on horseback had given cnase, and the fun became fast and furious. The usual number of small boys and a great many adults viewed the proceedings as far as they could. The baboon, evidently enjoying his freedom, occasioned his pursuers much exertion, and was not captured for quite two hours. On his return he was chained near the Government tank, and must have been flattered at the amount of attention be received.
Strange Animals
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: August 25, 1913
Page Number: 17
MOUNT GAMBIER, August 21. Mr. W. Hilton, lighthousekeeper at Cape Banks, near Carpenters' Rocks, found a strange animal lying on the beach at Buck's Bay. Part of it is buried in the sand, and cannot be uncovered, owing to the great suction at the spot. The top part of the carcase is about 6 ft. long by 5 ft. wide, with feelers 6 ft. in length. It is covered with a long woolly hair, and Mr. Hilton is of opinion that it is a huge cuttlefish.
Sounds like another "Rottnest Monster"
Australian Town and Country Journal (NSW)
Date: September 7, 1889
Page Number: 12
A strange animal, half opossum half monkey, and hitherto unknown, has been captured in the scrub,near Sevenhills.

Zeehan and Dundas Herald (Tas.)
Date: September 4, 1913
Page Number: 1
We take the following from an exchange, without any comment except to wonder if the animal is in any way related to the stranger in distress which the State prospering party discovered on the beach near Point Hibbs, when prospectine for minerals, and not for monsters:--

The President of the South Australian Marine Board (Mr A. Searcy) has forwarded the following letter concerning a strange animal which was found recently on the sea coast near Cape Banks to Mr J. R. G. Adams, secretary of the Adelaide Public Library. It is written by the head-keeper at Cape Banks light house:

The animal mentioned, I am afraid, will be too far gone to do any thing with. The size on top measurements is 6ft x 5ft. The hair, or wool, is something between the two. The body has grisly bone, and it will weigh between 6 or 7cwt. It is like a gigantic cuttle fish. I tried to get the mouth but could not turn it. One man who has been to see it cannot place it, and he has been sailing in all parts of the world. It is of the octopus family. I wish to mention a brown one came ashore some time before the white one, but too far gone to do anything with. There is on the !beach, near the Glen Rosa a thing about 33ft long, and 8in through.


Since the above was put in type we received the following letter:--

"Sir.-- Anent the nabove subject. As a patriotic Tasmanian and a State fighter at that, I must emphatically protest against Souh Australia's attempt to encroach on our inherent rights to sea monsters. Surely this is 'over the fences' and so obviously unfair to us. Indeed, Tasmania's reputation in England is at stake. The State Mining Engineer was the 'first in,' and, besides, his monster had a head like a collie dog, a coat of chestnut fur, and four legs, and no tail. We should secure patent rights, and that at once. Recently reported that the almost forgotten 'bunyip' has been sighted at Lakes Rolleston and Margaret. What an opportunity for the Boy Scouts to gain fame? The capture of these marine denizens would be invaluable to science. And what more priceless 'ad.' would be wished for by our genial Johnny McCall to aid him in promoting the mining interests of his native land? What is the Warden, himself a seafaring man, doing in this matter?"

Yours, etc,
ROB ROY. "Wayward Square," August 3.
A giant squid specimen measuring over 4 m (13 ft) without its two long feeding tentacles.
Perhaps it was a rare giant squid:
sa_misc_creatures001012.jpg sa_misc_creatures001011.jpg
Searcy, Alfred (18541925)

Occupation: clerk of parliament, contemporary-affairs commentator, customs officer, novelist, public servant
sa_misc_creatures001009.jpg sa_misc_creatures001010.jpg
McCall, Sir John (18601919)

Cultural Heritage: Scottish

Religious Influence: Anglican

Occupation: agent-general, army medical officer, colonial militia (Australia), general practitioner, landowner, local government councillor, Member of Lower House
Townspeople Join the Hunt

The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: November 22, 1930
Page Number: 15
Loxton, November 21.
     The escape from its cage of a leopard belonging to Perry Bros.' circus at Loxton yesterday, caused great excitement. After a hunt, to which 50 persons, including the local police, residents, and circus employes were engaged, the animal was recaptured. The first intimation that the leopard was loose was given at midday by an employe of the local flour mills named Glatz, who saw a strange animal prowling among some bushes about a quarter of a mile from the town. He immediately raised the alarm and informed the local police. Women and children were ordered indoors, and advice was sent to neighboring farmers to give the leopard a wide berth.

Hunt Organised

     A hunt was then organised. A large party, on horseback, in cars, on foot, and some armed, went out to run the animal to earth. A chase ensued, and the animal, which apparently was almost as frightened as some of its pursuers, took refuge under a large waggon in the yard of Goldsbrough, Mort and Co., Limited. Here, snarling and menacing anyone who came close to it, the leopard was surrounded and held at bay until the circus employes arrived with the huge net, which is used to put round the lion's cage. The net was thrown over the waggon and secured. The leopard, finding that it was totally enclosed, became ferocious, and made several wild plunges at the net. One of the circus employes then brought the wire noose on the end of a pole which is used to capture the animals in their cages. The leopard snarled and bit at the noose, and at one stage the police thought it would be necessary to shoot it on account of the fight it was putting up. Eventually the noose was passed over its head and drawn tight, and when almost strangled the animal was rolled in a large basket. Here he gave his captors another lively five minutes until he was replaced in a cage. The circus employes stated that if the day had not been so hot the leopard would have put up a much more strenuous fight.

Cage Burst

     An examination of the cage from which the leopard escaped showed that it had been burst. The circus proprietors think that this was caused by elephant as it was pushing the waggon carrying the leopard's cage up the steep bank from the Berri punt. The circus travelled several miles over a fairly rough road, which must have burst open the cage. The animal apparently slipped out unnoticed when about a mile from the town, and was following the circus when it was seen by Mr. Glatz.
DEER OUTLAW, 'Red Terror' Captured.

Northern Argus (Clare, SA)
Date: May 21, 1952
Page Number: 7
[From our Blyth Corr.]
     In the past few months, the deer that was first noticed in with Mr. R. H. Eime's herd of cows before Xmas has since been worrying other local herds.
     Although the deer was very friendly with Mr. Eime's cattle, when he roamed on to new playgrounds the cows he met at Messrs L. Pratts and F. Zwecks were extremely scared of him being a strange animal.
     They were found to be scattered in all directions, in some cases several miles.
     The latest worry was Mr. L. Brown's herd, which the animal scattered causing them to smash the gate and disperse.
     They headed for the town dairy, where they gathered in the yard. The deer followed, staying in the corner in the of a paddock. Later he jumped the dividing fence and caused much strife to the cows following them around the yard. Mr. Brown and Lyell managed to capture it, then Mr. Hawker was notified and still later the "Terror" was removed to his station.
     The animal merely wanted the company of the cattle, but they could not understand this new bounding, fence clearing creature. In most cases it was several days before a regular supply of milk was given by the cows.
sa_misc_creatures001004.jpg sa_misc_creatures001003.jpg sa_misc_creatures001002.jpg
Whilst feral red deer were once established widely in South Australia they appear to have become extinct until recently where small numbers have been seen most probably as the result of escapes from commercial deer farms.