The Darkening Ecliptic is the name of the collection of verse from the greatest Australian poet that never was. It also signals a new direction for this website.
Yowieocalypse, originally conceived to be solely devoted to the Yowie – the mythical man-beast of the Australian bush – will be spreading its wings to explore little known aspects of local history (like the Battle of Brisbane and Mark Twain down under), fantastic folklore (like tales of strange happenings and Australian sporting folklore), mischievous hoaxes (like the Gympie Pyramid and, of course, The Darkening Ecliptic), and tracing the history of the "paranormal".
This is my hobby - to educate myself about the things that interest me & to share the results. The world is an amazing place yet it is not necessary to travel to its far corners to discover its secrets which are here around us if we only take the time to look. And when we do take the time to look closer sometimes things are not quite as they seem…
Welcome to the world of the Yowieocalypse.
Report Card 2012:
- Update existing pages D (Only updated a few)
- Analyse the 2009 Mt George Yowie sighting F
- History of Yowie Research F
- Yowie review 2009 – 2012 F
- Examine the Ern Malley hoax F
- Explore pseudo-archaeology in Australia B (Marble Man & Cootharaba Ruins)
- Collect more information on the Gympie Pyramid F
- The Nunawading Messiah & other prophets of Oz F
- Extracurricular Activities A (Great Moon Hoax, Essex Lion, 19th Century Hairy Man Reports, Siberian sasquatch, Strange Animals, Hairy Humour)
Simply never got around to many of the things intended in 2012 and was easily distracted by extracurricular activities which did, however, yield some very interesting finds and prospects.
Intentions for 2013:
- Continue updating existing pages
- If not a real creature then what is it? The Yowie Phenomenon Explained
- Yowies in the News 2013
- Continue with 19th Century Hairy Man Reports
- Continue examining the long and strange history of Mystery Animals in Australia
- Continue to explore pseudo-archaeology in Australia
- More on the Marble Man: An International Trail of Fakery
- Continue to get side-tracked (like the following:)
- Origins of the Lemming Mass Suicide Myth