the Yowie-Ocalypse
Revelation in the Age of Bigfoot
A Naked Yowie Project Initiative
Articles, images, and published sources are reproduced in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions of the Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968.

Portions of this website are reprinted under the Fair Use Doctrine of International Copyright Law as educational material without benefit of financial gain.
This proviso is applicable throughout the entire website.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 3, 1894
Page Number: 2
"For the greater part of a year up till Thursday last nothing new had been heard about the famous Tantanoola tiger," says the Border Watch of July 23, "and people were beginning to conclude that the beast had either shifted its habitat or never had an existence. But on Thursday afternoon considerable excitement was caused in the town by the report that the animal had been seen on Wednesday afternoon not far from the locality which it was formerly believed to haunt. Mr. William Uphill, a boundary rider for Mr. R. M. Gardiner, of the Mount Schanck run, came to the Mount early in the afternoon to inform his employer that be had seen the animal on the previous day, about 2 o'clock p.m., in the Coast Paddock, hundred of Kongorong, about 3 miles from the point on the coast where the Glenrosa was wrecked some years ago.
"He was on horseback, accompanied by his dog. Seeing some cattle I running excitedly he rode over to learn what was disturbing them. As he neared them he observed emerging from an area thickly overgrown with tall cutting grass an animal about 3 ft in height, the shape of which appeared to him like that of a lioness. It was reddish-brown in color on the back and side (lighter underneath), with a flexible tail, like that of a cat, long enough to trail on the ground.
"It seemed to have stripes on the head, but he is not sure that it was striped on the body. He is not certain whether it was pursuing two of the calves or not—the probabilities were that it was not, and that they were merely running out of its way. In a comparatively clear space of ground the animal caught sight of Mr. Uphill and lay down with its head between its paws for a abort time. He went his dog up to it, but the collie, observing that it was a large animal the like of which it had never seen before, prudently returned to its master looking very scared.
"Presently the beast rose and trotted away into come jungly country. Mr. Uphill has seen a tiger at the Adelaide Zoological Gardens and whilst he is not prepared to declare positively that the beast be saw on Thursday was a tiger he believes it was. Mr. Gardiner says Mr. Uphill is an intelligent and reliable man and is convinced that some large predatory animal is at large in the wild country between Tantanoola and the coast and is living on stock. He arranged that yesterday six or seven of his station men should proceed to the locality where Mr. Uphill saw the beast to search for it, and having communicated the matter to Inspector Saunders that officer ordered that Mounted Constables W. B. Russell and O. J. Foote should accompany them, armed, and conduct the search, the station men acting as beaters.
"As arranged the hunting party left for the locality yesterday morning. The police were to join the other men at Mount Salt." News has been received in Adelaide to the effect that the party returned to Mount Gambier Sunday, having been unsuccessful in their search for the tiger.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 7, 1894
Page Number: 5
Mount Gambler, August 6.

Donald Smith, a youth employed by Mr. John Livingston, brought the intelligence into Mount Gambier to-night that he bad seen a tiger about 2 miles from Lake Bonney 8 miles from Tantanoola, and 20 miles from the Mount. Smith says be saw a flock of sheep rushing about and thinking a dog was harassing them be rode to the spot. He then noticed one of the ewes going back towards her lamb. He rode in that direction to the crown of a hill, when his pony suddenly snorted and rushed backwards. He then saw about 20 yards in front of him a tiger, carrying at full-grown ewe in its month. As soon as the tiger saw him it dropped the sheep, placed its paw upon it, and looked round. Smith then left and gave information to Mr. Livingston. Smith describes the animal as about 2 ft 6 in. high and 5 It. in length, brown in color, with light stripes. He is certain the animal is a tiger. Mr. Livingston sent word to the police and has arranged for a search party for to-morrow, and the police will doubtless join in the hunt. It is probable that a number of Mount Gambier residents will also take part in the search.
Inspector Richard Saunders, who has held the position of officer-in-charge of the South Eastern division of the Police Force for a continuous period of many years, has sent in an application for a lengthy leave of absence. It is generally expected that at the end of that time he will retire from the police service. During his many years of residence in the South-East he has attained popularity and will always be kindly remembered by the residents in "The Garden of the State."

He arrived in South Australia from California in February, 1853, and joined the force almost immediately, so that he has seen over half a century of service. He began as a mounted con- stable, and in those early days suffered many hardships. He served first in the South-East. and then in the north and north-east for several years. In February 1857, Mr. Saunders was promoted to the rank of first-class constable and was raised to the rank of corporal the same year. In 1864 he was promoted to the rank of sergeant, and three years later, in consequence of having been advanced to the position of sergeant-major, he was recalled to Adelaide, where he spent six years.

On July 1, 1873, he received his commission as an inspector of mounted police. When Inspector Saunders entered the force Commissioner Tolmer was head of the department, and he has served under no fewer than five Commissioners.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, S.A.)
Date: Feb 19, 1904
Page Number: 6
tt1894001016.jpg tt1894001015.jpg tt1894001014.gif
The Tantanoola Tiger
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 8, 1894
Page Number: 5
Two troopers left Mount Gambier this morning to join a large party, organised by Mr. J. Livingston, to search for the tiger reported to have been seen on Monday near Lake Bonney. As the scene of the operations is 20 miles from here no intelligence is expected till to-morrow.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 10, 1894
Page Number: 5
Mount Gambier, August 3.

A party of 18, headed by Mr. J. Livingstone, joined at the Duck Holes, on Messrs. Paltridge's property, Lake Bonney, on Tuesday, to hunt the Tantanoola tiger, and were joined by two troopers from Mount Gambier at the spot where young Smith reported that be saw the tiger. The tracks of some large animal were discovered and followed through ferny country for a mile and a half. By broken ferns wool was occasionally found. The animal eventually took to the open country, which is hard and stony, and though the hunters searched closely over a large extent of country yesterday and to-day they failed to pick up the trail again or to come across signs of the animal.

It is thought that the recent heavy rains here have flooded the tiger out of its usual lair, hence its appearance in various localities. Those engaged in the search are confident that a tiger or some large foreign animal is at large. The hunt will be continued to-morrow. Several of the party assert that they will not rest satisfied till they have discovered the animal. The police are still out with the party.

The hunt for the Tantanoola tiger whose reappearance was announced by Donald Smith, a nephew of Mr. J. Livingston, of Burungal, commenced on Tuesday. Inspector Saunders dispatched Mounted Constables Russell and Foote to the locality known as "The Duck-hole" where the animal was said to have been seen.

"At 'The Duck-hole,'" (says the Border Watch of Wednesday), "they were to meet, about 1 o'clock, a party of men from Mr. R. M. Gardiner's Mount Salt and Mr. Livingston's, and would at once commence a search for the animal. No one returned last night with any news of the success or otherwise of the party, but it is much to be hoped that some unmistakable trace of it will be this time found.

"There are, however, many odds against such a party as that which went out finding the beast, and it has been suggested that if they obtain tangible evidence of its existence and the probable whereabouts of its lair, a much larger and thoroughly equipped party should be fitted out. Part of such equipment might consist of dogs for the purpose of tracing the brute. It might be worth while negotiating for the loan of the Russian blood-hounds or boar-hounds imported some years ago by the Hon. G. C. Hawker, M.P. Indeed if it were once ascertained without any shadow of doubt that a tiger was really about it is possible sportsmen from a distance would come here to assist in the hunt for it."
John Livingston (1857 - 1935), stock-dealer and politician, by Swiss Studios, 1900s, courtesy of National Library of Australia. nla.pic-an23617642. .Image Details
George Charles Hawker (1818 - 1895), politician and grazier, by Johnstone, O'Shannessy & Co., courtesy of State Library of South Australia. SLSA: B 10800. .Image Details
Russian Bloodhound (aka Serbian Bloodhound)
This dog is a Russian Bloodhound, and was used during the war at Libby Prison and Castle Thunder, Richmond, Virginia, to guard Union prisoners and recapture those who escaped. Weight, 198 pounds; height, three feet and two inches; length, from tip to tip, seven feet one and a half inches.
By the 1880s people recognized that the Cuban and the Siberian Bloodhounds were too dangerous to be kept like other dogs. In 1886, the state of Massachusetts banned the Cuban and Siberian Bloodhounds.
Note: The dimensions given for this Russian Bloodhound make it larger than the alleged Tiger seen by Donald Smith.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 16, 1894
Page Number: 5
Mount Gambler, August 15.

A black tracker arrived from Adelaide to-night, and to-morrow he will accompany Mounted-Constables Russell and Foote to search for the tracks of the tiger reported to have been seen in the vicinity of Lake Bonney. The party will be armed with Martini-Henry rifles, and they intend to remain in the locality for about a week. The South-Eastern Star of Tuesday says:—

"Mounted-Constables Russell and Foote, who were engaged last week in searching for the "tiger" in the neighborhood of lake Bonney, returned on Saturday evening. Although unsuccessful in their search they have no doubt that some large beast had been at the spot indicated by the lad Smith and that it had carried away a sheep as described by him. Owing to the rough and stony nature of the ground where the trail was followed it was found impossible to take casts of the footprints, but in one or two places these were distinct enough to admit of being measured, and were found to be 5 in. across. The impressions convinced the party that the animal was of the feline species, the footprints being catlike, and showing no indication of claws.

"At various places along the trail small tufts of wool were found as if torn from the sheep by the rough scrub and ferns as the animal was being carried, and the last piece found was imbedded in the footprint of the larger animal. It was bloodstained and looked as if it had been wound around the tooth of the beast.

"Constable Russell has come to the conclusion that the animal seen by Mr. Uphill and that seen by Donald Smith are identical, and he accounts for its second appearance at so considerable a distance from the first by the suggestion that is had been driven from its lair by the unusual rise of water in the ti-tree swamps, and that it was wandering about the higher country, not having yet found another permanent hiding place.

"Active steps are now being taken to form another and larger party, and Mr. G. Riddoch, M.P., suggests that a subscription be raised to defray the cost, towards which he offers to contribute £5. It has also been suggested that the authorities be requested to tell off two of the mounted constables for duty in the locality for a chart time until the mystery concerning the beast is cleared up, and probably a request to this effect will be preferred to-day.

"Meanwhile Mr. Livingston is engaged in the work of forming another hunting party, which will probably commence operations in a few days. There has been some report of procuring suitable dogs for following up the trail, and the services of a skilled black tracker have been mentioned as desirable, but nothing definite has been decided upon as to the future plan of operations. As the old trail will have been washed out by the recent heavy rains it will be necessary before anything can be done to ascertain the whereabouts of the animal and pick up his tracks again. With the assistance of dogs or a tracker they might then be followed until the beast was discovered."
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 17, 1894
Page Number: 6
The people of the south-east are evidently determined to make a thorough hunt for the now famous Tantanoola tiger. It is getting a serious matter for that district. Either a formidable beast is at large in their midst or else the veracity of some of the witnesses is not so unimpeachable as thought to be. Unless the matter is cleared up the tiger will before long be elevated to the position which was formerly held by the "bunyip" —an interesting myth regarding which we have of late years heard nothing. Some interesting particulars of the proceedings of the search party which went out last week are given in the Border Watch, which says: —

"One thing occurred at the start that was to be regretted. Owing to a misapprehension young Smith had informed Mr. Livingston that the police would not be down till Wednesday, and as a large party were gathered it was thought well to start the search at once. When the police got down therefore the ground around the spot where Smith saw the beast was covered with horse tracks, making the start of the search difficult. After the arrival of the police the day was spent in beating the ti-tree adjacent The police, who were well armed, placed themselves in a good position to see the beast should he try to escape, and the other men, a number of whom were also armed, disposed themselves as beaters. They, however, found no tiger nor trail.

"Just as daylight set in on Wednesday morning the police went to have another look at the place where the tiger was seen by Smith. Thirty yards from the spot they discovered the place where the beast had evidently seized the sheep, there being indications of a struggle and great claw marks in the soil, where the sheep had certainly been rolled on the ground and been kicking. It was easily tracked thence to where Smith said be saw it. With the intention of trying to track it further they started away down the range, and had gone nearly 300 yards before they picked up the next definite trace.

"The first thing that attested their attention were small tufts of wool that hung on the ferns, and which had evidently been pulled off as a sheep was being carried through them; and as the ferns got higher the men could see where they were broken down and pushed aside as the beast proceeded with its burden. In that way it was tracked for over a mile and a quarter along the range. Then they lost the trail. After breakfast they went back to the place where they lost the traces. The beast appeared to have gone towards Tantanoola. They failed to obtain any more traces that day, although they carefully searched an area of several square miles.

"On Thursday Constable Russell, being dissatisfied with the result of the work of the previous day, resolved to make an examination of the traces in the name country. As before, they were lost on the range a mile or so from where the beast caught the sheep. The party kept going in the direction in which they thought the animal must have continued, and in the afternoon about 4 o'clock the police found its track again about a mile from where they lost it. Leaving the range the beast had descended into the low country and then, describing the arc of a large circle, turned back to the hills. As before the principal traces were pieced of wool torn off by the ferns, some of them having blood upon them. Following these carefully Constable Russell first found piece of wool and then the footprint of a large beast. It consisted of the impression of four toes and a huge sole, the whole giving the impression that the foot was at least 5 in. wide, and the beast a heavy one. There were no traces of claws. Under the prints of two of the toes pieces of blood-stained wool were found. The ground was hard and the tracks too indistinct to make it worth them for the taking of a cast. There was also an impression in the ferns with wool about as if the beast bad laid down the sheep for the purpose of having a rest.

"About 200 yards further on towards the range another track of the beast's foot was found and some more tufts of wool. This was about seven miles from where Uphill saw the beast, about one and a half miles in a straight line from where Smith saw it, and some 10 miles from Tantanoola. There the traces were again lost, and without regaining them the party suspended the search for the night.

"It rained very hard on Friday morning and the prosecution of the search was no easy task, But the party, considerably diminished in number, searched a great part of the range and found nothing.

"On Saturday rooming the police and party were out from 6 a.m. to midday, but found neither the tiger nor its traces. There is a beaten track running along the foot of the range for some miles, and M.C. Foote went along that every day to see if the beast had crossed, in which case it must have left tracks, but he found none. The whole of the search party are sure that some large animal strange to the country roams in the locality indicated, and Constables Russell and Foote are quite convinced the animal is none other than a tiger. They believe its ordinary lair is in the thick teatree, but that at the present season the rise of water in the teatree has compelled it to seek higher and more open country, hence its being been on the ranges. In summer it could remain in the teatree during the day and go forth at night for its prey and not be seen or found by even a well-organised party for months, and the police think that the present is the best reason to search for it.

"It would appear that when the party were looking for the beast on one part of the range on Thursday it was several miles off on another part of the range, nearer where Uphill saw it. It is reported that on Thursday evening Mr. L. Schinckel, a young man, while riding across the range, accompanied by several dogs, had a great scare. In the hundred of Kongorong, not far from the residence of a boundary rider named Buckingham, his horse stopped suddenly, became very fractious, and snorted wildly, and all his dogs except one crouched round the horse. The other dog took to its heels and bolted. Mr. Schinckel could see nothing to cause all the alarm, but as the country was rough some object of terror might be very close and he not see it. After come delay he got his horse past the place and proceeded on his journey."
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 20, 1894
Page Number: 6
At the request of Mr. G. Riddoch, M.P., the Government on Wednesday dispatched a skilled black tracker to assist in the search for the tantalising "tiger," says the South-Eastern Star. Instructions were also forwarded to Inspector Saunders to send down two mounted constables to help in finding the mysterious animal. Accordingly on Thursday morning Mounted Constables Russell and Foote left, accompanied by the tracker and Messrs. F. Leamey, D. Potter, and N. McIntosh, for Burrungull, where Mr. Livingston has been engaged in organising another search party. The men are all fully armed and equipped for a week's absence, and it is intended to make a thorough and systematic search for traces of the animal right through the tract of country he is supposed to make its principal haunt. It is expected that there may become difficulty in picking up its tracks again, as in all probability the recent rains have obliterated any traces of his latest known appearance, but when once found it is hoped that the tracker will be able to follow the trail until the lair of the brute is discovered. Subsequent operations will probably be descended upon when the animal is found, but with a number of riflemen on hand it is not expected that there will be much difficulty in dispatching it. The police are sanguine of success, and are fully determined if possible to bring back the much-coveted skin of the predatory beast when they return.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 23, 1894
Page Number: 6
Tuesday's South-Eastern Star says:—
Last night Inspector Saunders informed as that the two mounted-constables, with Cramner, the tracker, and two volunteers (all good shots) are at present searching after the "tiger" round Lake Bonney, but as yet no success has followed their keen efforts. Inspector Saunders went to the Coola station yesterday, where he met Messrs. Livingston, Gardiner, Sparkes, and Kennedy. The position of affairs was fully discussed; and it was decided to send to Mr. G. Riddoch, M.P., urging the advisability of sending a couple of boar hounds and three stag hounds to assist in the hunt. The gentlemen mentioned are quite satisfied now that the animal recently seen by Uphill and Smith is a large tiger and they have decided to send several men to make up a large party to scour the surrounding country should the present party be unsuccessful about Lake Bonney. On Saturday last his Worship the Mayor received the following letter from Mr. Geo. Riddoch, M.P., together with a cheque for £5:—

"Dear Sir—l do not think it fair that a few people should have to give up their time and be at the expense of supplying themselves with equipment, rations, &c, in addition, whilst others do nothing in the way of searching for the tiger or other animal we have now such good reason for knowing is at large in the district, and hope that an effort will be made to get up a fund to pay part at any rate of the expense the plucky few are put to, and if necessary for a reward to those who may secure the animal. I enclose cheque for £5 towards such fund, and will be glad if you undertake getting subscriptions from others for the object named. Besides what may be given by individuals I think the various district councils should contribute something. Hoping to hear that you have been successful in getting a good sum, and in any case that it will not be long before the animal is secured—Yours truly, Geo. Riddoch.
The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA)
Date: Aug 27, 1894
Page Number: 7

Of course the Tantanoola tiger is the absorbing topic of conversation, and numerous scores come into town that the beast has been captured. The action of the Government in sending the tracker is favorably commented upon, as the people around Millicent are confidently assured that some beast of prey is prowling around in the heavily timbered ranges. The party now out aver that they will not return until they can give some account of the animal. Their plan in to scour the country in circles to pick up the trail and then for the tracker to follow it up. A suggestion by a local paper, however, seems to be much more feasible, that of following up the scent with blood hounds.